Tuesday, September 5

Playlist

Here's a nice running demo I did the night before the marathon so no one would forget how race day:


Here I sit making my playlist for my run. I need much motivation because I might be going alone. Running alone, no one there to cheer or to try and run faster so I don't look like a loser. Great. I'm not doing to well with the playlist. Nice stuff doesn't really work for me. I prefer anger and aggression and rage. I know, I know, patio lanterns isn't fitting in this typical mold. Most of the music is rage and aggression with the odd happy tune for those "moments" I have while running. Sunday was my "mental preparation" run where I imagine every senario and work through how I will mentally deal with it. I didn't work through the senario of having no one to hold my inhaler for me if I need it or hold a jacket for me at the end or come pick me up after the race cause my legs may not take me to my parking spot....Where ever that may be. Thing is I don't know where that will be and how far away that will be. Dang it.

Ok. Ok. Cool it. I will read a bunch of motivational quotes that I have in my running day planner that I was supposed to be reading all along but never did. Crap.

It's no longer a sport, No longer just a game. It has become a way of life. Every breath is a stride, every heartbeat a string of silence. It is a compulsion from deep within It is a passion for glory. To go through the torment. To last through the waiting. To gain that one moment, alone with myself and only the few who chance to strive can know the experience. To hear nothing but breath. To feel nothing but heartbeat. To feel so close to hell running so close to heaven. This is the runner's high. This is the feeling I live for. This is the goal I strive toward. If my chance disappears, part of my life would end. (annon)

Oh yeah, feeling good now. Feeling better. Here comes my all time favorite.
Doesn't this make you want to do it again Jo? Annie?



We can blaze! Become legends in our own time. Strike fear into the heart of mediocre talent everywhere. We can scald dogs, put records out of reach! Make the stands gasp as we blow into an unearthly kick from 300 yards out! We can become God's own messenger delivering the dreaded scrolls! We can race dark Satan himself till he wheezes fiery cinders down the back straightaway! They'll speak our names in hushed tones "those guys are animals" they'll say. We can lay it on the line, bust a gut, show them a clean pair of heels. We can sprint the turn on a spring breeze and feel the winter leave our feet. We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on! (Quentin Cassidy Once a Runner by John Parker)

Not sure why he put so many exclamation marks in there but it works for me.




(oooo bonus, I just flipped through my book some more and found a peanut butter cookie recipe I was looking for. Sweet.)

Ok back on track here.

On the roads, I can see truth revealed whole without thought or reason. There I experience the sudden understanding that comes unmasked, unbidden. I simply rest. Rest within the pure rhythm of my running. And I wait. (George Sheehan)

That one makes me want to go for a run right now. Ho man, that's deep.

You're running on guts. On fumes. Your muscles twitch. You throw up. You're delirious. But you keep running because there's no way out of this hell you're in, because there's no way you're not crossing the Finnish line. It's a misery that non-runners don't understand. (Martine Costello)

The reward at the end:





Yup, now I will be up all night thinking about running.

Back to my playlist. Last night I had a dream that I ran real fast on Eye of the Tiger. So I downloaded it tonight and it's going on. Runaway by Pink. Breakaway - Kelly whatever her name is. A bunch of Linkin Park vs Jay-z music. Patio Lanterns. I wonder what motivates The Iceman. I wish I could ask him.

If anyone can think of any songs that might work lemmie know. I would like to hear what motivates the masses.

7 comments:

footsack said...

I never knew anyone so passionate about running. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Carol said...

I wish you the best in your run. I agree that non-runners would never understand the feelings that a runner experiences.

Anonymous said...

I know lots of songs that help me run, for instance: one of your favourites- "shake that" by Eminem, really gets me going; actually any Eminem does it for me or 50 cent songs for that matter. There are others too like: "let it go" by melissa o'neil, "sexyback" by JT, and another good one is "maneater" by Nelly furtado. One that we were listening to the other day "you can do it, put your back into it" by Ice cube, "Run" by Rex Goudie, just cause it has the word run in it. Most of my choices are up beat hip hop/rap, you are probably sick of all of them because you know me once I like a song I tend to play it over and over and over until I am sick of it, never considering anyone elses opionion. Like "you're beautiful" by James Blunt, I played the hell out of that song and both Harry and Deanna hate it. Oh well, I love it that much. So now I am off topic. You can go through my list on my computer, there might be something that I thought was not good, but you might approve. It sounds like you like more relaxed songs, like I love that pink song, but could never run to it. But then again I do think you are a little weird, and this just confirms that.
Its really too bad that you could be going by yourself. I think you should tie Kad up and gag him and make him go with you. I would go with you, but then I would be missing a night at Jax, and most importantly me looking at Hottie Bouncer. Unless you get the cabtec guys there, they might be worth giving up another night with Hottie Bouncer. But you have to remember I did miss a night with him last weekend which was good cause he did kick me out of the bar on Friday, but that wasn't my fault, I think Jax closes way too early. Otherwise I wouldn't have been the only one left there and he wouldn't have had to kick me out! ok maybe I am the one that is a little weird.

Toad said...

thanks tips. truth is i can't run to rap unless it is the exact beat that my running speed is. i have a song i really want but i'm not sure if its a song. its lame.

you know that tv add with the hot air balloons to music. and it shows them setting it up. ok here it goes....

da da da da...da da da da
and i've got such a long way to go *such a long way to go
to make it to the corner of mexico

so i ride, ride like the wind
ride like the wind
da da da da....da da da da.

i want this song.

Becky said...

I'll talk to Ang M. and maybe Ben and I will come. We'll see. It's 50 bux for gas and we have that Saskatoon trip planned... I'll talk to Glen.

Unknown said...

Wow, way to freakin' go! I wish I was that motivated about anything exercise-related. If I weren't so far away, I'd come. And I'd have a big sign around my neck and pompoms and I could jump around and wave them like a madman.

"Angie, Angie, she's our woman. If she can't do it... well, there's still hundreds of other people doing it, too... but it would pretty much suck. GO ANGIE!! Woooo!!"

Margaret said...

I am proud to be related to someone so motivated. When I walk for 5 kms I try to run a bit. I think altogether I might run about half, but I know for sure that I can't even run for 1 km. Way to go.